Tuesday 23 February 2010

We could all learn something from a former Soviet political dissident

A very interesting experience: you learn yourself, you understand yourself. Once you understand yourself to that degree, it's much easier to understand other people ... Some people cannot stand solitary confinement at all. I've known people go completely mad. Some would feel that their personality disintegrates. After some observations, I understood why that happens - some people define themselves only in relation to others. I'm not like that. When they are deprived of this point of reference, they go bonkers, just lose their personality. For me it was never like that - I never defined myself in relation to other people - and therefore it was kind of fun for me. It was a very interesting experience! You become a bit exalted - but if you control it to some extent, it's OK. And that allows you an enormous degree of concentration. Things come naturally when you learn how to play with your subconscious.

--- Vladimir Bukovsky

No comments:

Post a Comment